MLK Day is a federal holiday that commemorates the birthday of an important American civil rights leader. Therefore, businesses and schools will close to honor the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. However, many investors want to know, is the stock market closed on MLK Day 2023 as well?
When Is MLK Day 2023?
The federal government has designated ten official holidays each year. MLK Day is the first one, which falls on the third Monday of January. Americans take this day to celebrate the civil liberties that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. lived and fought for. Although his official birthday was on January 15, 1929, the date of the holiday changes from year to year. This year, it happens to be on January 16. So, schools, banks, and government offices close in observance of the day.
Is the Stock Market Closed on MLK Day 2023?
After a challenging 2022, many investors are starting this year with cautious optimism. And with only two federal holidays in the first few months, hopeful investors believe the markets have the chance to stabilize and even build momentum for the coming year.
While the markets observe most federal holidays, they sometimes operate on their own schedule. On some days, even when the bond market closes, the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq continue to do business as usual, Monday through Friday, opening at 9:30 a.m. and closing at 4:00 p.m. EST.
However, the stock and bond markets will all close on MLK Day 2023. But, they will resume trading the following day, Tuesday, January 17 during normal hours of operation.
Stock Market Holidays for 2023
If you day trade and need to know when the markets will not be available, it’s a good idea to mark these days on your calendar. The stock market closes for these officially recognized federal holidays in 2023. But, the markets may also close on short notice due to days of mourning.
- New Year’s Day: Monday, January 2 (observed)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Monday, January 16
- Presidents Day: Monday, February 20
- Good Friday: Friday, April 7
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 29
- Juneteenth – Monday, June 19
- Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4*
- Labor Day: Monday, September 4
- Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 23**
- Christmas: Monday, December 25
* Each market will close early at 1:00 p.m. (and 1:15 p.m. for eligible options) on Monday, July 3. Crossing Sessions orders will continue to be accepted and executed until 1:30 p.m. Late trading sessions for NYSE American Equities, NYSE Arca Equities, NYSE Chicago, and NYSE National close at 5:00 p.m. All times follow EST.
** Each market will close early at 1:00 p.m. (and 1:15 p.m. for eligible options) on Friday, November 24. Crossing Sessions orders will continue to be accepted and executed until 1:30 p.m. Late trading sessions for NYSE American Equities, NYSE Arca Equities, NYSE Chicago, and NYSE National close at 5:00 p.m. All times follow EST.
Monday is usually a busy day on Wall Street. However, federal holidays like MLK Day mean investors will have to wait to get back to business.
- Is The Post Office Open on MLK Day 2023?
- Is Costco Closed on MLK Day 2023?
- Stock Market Holiday Schedule 2023
Come back to what you love! Dollardig.com is the most reliable cash-back site on the web. Just sign up, click, shop, and get full cashback!